Through sunshine and showers, He is faithful!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

trust

I know that several of you out there probably don't agree with the way we do our bedtime routine around here at the Myers house.  It may seem like a burden to lots of moms and some have more than one child and just don't have the time to do what we do to get Elli Kate sleepy and ready for "nighty-night", as she calls it.
Our night time drill starts at about 8:30 (I know...pretty late for most, but remember we are in youth ministry).  We start winding down and talking about getting jammies on.  We go potty one last time and put on "nighty-night" panties (pull-ups--she still doesn't stay dry though the night yet).  Then, Aaron and I take EK to her bedroom to pray over her.  We pray and then she tells us other people she wants to pray for.  Consistantly, she wants to talk to God about Brother Jack, Miss Karen, Zoe, Oma, and Granny.  Side note here..I really like that she wants to pray for people other than Mommy and Daddy.  She is such a tenderheart and LOVES other people.  I hope that God is planning on keeping that a part of who she is forever.  Anyway.  After prayers, either Daddy or I rock her.  This is where we differ from most other families.  We still rock our little girl.  We always have.  And, we'll rock her until she won't let us anymore.
Here is where I wanted to get you to understand what I mean in this post.  I absolutely love when my daughter totally relaxes in my arms and just takes those last deep breaths before they become steady and rhythmic denoting that she is resting and sleeping after a long day of play and learning.  The only way that she would do this relaxing and resting is that she is at peace with who is holding her.  She is completely trusting that her daddy or mommy is taking care of her and holding her so she can feel safe to let go of tightened muscles and swirling thoughts.  When she is trusting, then she can sleep.
I know that the same is true for me.  When I am trusting, then I can rest/sleep.  God wants to take my cares and burdens from the day, so he can refresh me as I sleep.  I need to remember that as I lay my head down and sigh from the worries of the day, to let my thoughts go over to His Lordship and rest because I trust the one holding me.  :)

4 comments:

  1. So good! Those last few moments of those sweet days are so perfect! It is one of my VERY favorite parts of parenthood and our day. We love to rock-a-bye and Tucker doesn't go down until 9-ish. Gotta love those ministry kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We rock too! Yes, it is an hour or so earlier but I wouldn't trade rocking my kids for ANYTHING! Gunner no longer rocks but we do something special called "the hug that you just don't want to let go"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so precious, y'all! It's good to know I'm not the only one! :) I should have named that post "we rock!" I like that!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this tonight. Love you, Paul ;)

    ReplyDelete